SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denisez10

Brick-on-sand patio

denisez10
17 years ago

I've done lots of brick-on-sand paths and seating areas in the past, but we're farming out this project, replacing a small wood deck that has disintegrated over time. Contractor comes by today and says they would like to fill the joints with concrete, not a lot, but some, instead of sweeping sand between the bricks. I've never heard of this. I've read that you never lay flagstone on sand then mortar it in place, but what about bricks? Contractor swears, through an interpreter, that he's done it this way for years and it's the best way to go. I showed him some work I had done years ago, how stable it is, etc., and they insisted I must have mortared the bricks in place, which absolutely wasn't the case. All the bricks had been laid on a bed of sand then swept with sand. They want to start tomorrow, so any quick input is appreciated. We're frost-free so no issues in that regard.

I thought the point was to get the bricks extremely close together, so that it's difficult to even get large grains of sand between the joints. In fact, I remember in the past sifting sand between the joints. I'm worried that this guy builds the patio with the intent of leaving larger joint spaces to allow for mortar. The main contractor changed crew at the last minute, and I've gotta communicate through an interpreter now, and the new guy comes up with these issues.

Bear with me if this is an oft-repeated topic, but I did a search and didn't find anything completely on point, though I've come up with terms like stabilizer sand, polymeric gelling sand, and use of stone dust. I thought sand was good enough...

Comments (18)