SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Seeking Help on Creating Private Backyard Space

HFK123
17 years ago

Hi,

I'd like to create a private space just off of my back patio. The space will be approximately 20'x235. The area is heavily shaded, with medium amounts of direct sunlight in the morning, and moderate indirect light for most of the rest of the day. The area is flat: my patio floor is concrete, and I'm still trying to work out just what to use to extend a solid floor outward from my relatively small patio (concrete, naturalstone pavers?). I want to create some sort of a border (fencing of some sort, I presume?) that will be tall (6-8') and surround the area on three sides, with some sort of gate for access to the rest of the yard (my lot is 1.3 acres). I'd like to use vines or some sort of creeping, flowering plant to cover the border. I plan on having many potted plants, but I'm still trying to decide how much in-ground planting to do, which will, of course, dictate the size of the patio extension flooring (i.e. how much space will I have to leave between the pavers and the border to provide a planter?).

Some other miscellaneous facts:

1. Eventually (a couple of years from now) I'll probably erect a pergola.

2. Drainage is not an issue: even during heavy rains only small amounts of water accrue in the area (I have guttering)

3. I have a sprinkler system, and I'll create a zone to water the plants located in the propsed space (what should I call this thing anyway, a secret garden?)

At this point I'm realy just struggling with the basics: can you give me any ideas that will help to get me started, or guide my planning?

BTW, I'm in central Oklahoma.

Thanks.

Comments (7)