SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernard_in_ohio

When will rhubarb crowns sprout?

I don't mind waiting, but I'm concerned. I bought three each of Cawood and Macdonald crowns from Nourse Farms. I thought they'd be super hard when they arrived, but there was just a little give to the touch.

I kept them misted, cool, and in the dark for 72 hours, then planted them in top soil with a little mushroom compost, a sprinkle of sand, and cypress blend mulch. I planted them with the hairy parts pointing down and the cut off stems pointing up.

That was 8 days ago. There's 3 sprouts where I planted the crowns, but I'm not sure they're rhubarb. They look like they could be rhubarb, but they also look a lot like a weed that's growing nearby, and they really don't look like the pics of rhubarb sprouts I see elsewhere on line.

I give the rhubarb bed the soaker hose real low every other day or so. At least there's something sprouting where I planted the crowns, so I am hopeful.

How long should rhubarb take to sprout, under the circumstances? The person at Nourse I reached on the phone said to wait five weeks to be sure, but that doesn't seem reasonable. Given the season, it should be leaping out of the ground, right? Since it's not, is it dead? Do the crowns have crown rot, do you think?

Comments (5)