SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Are landscaping timbers tacky?

Fori
18 years ago

I have some low raised beds against my house in the slopey front yard built of stacking blocks. Because the blocks are falling down and I hate them, I'm considering replacing them with timber. I *think* that the timber walls (18" at the highest spot) would sort of disappear or at least be neutral. Is timber really neutral? If it helps, picture a small shady garden on a small shady woodsy lot next to a tall 20s era brick and half-timbered Tudor revival cottagey house. (No, the timbers won't match! :) )

Are timber walls outdated or tacky or otherwise undesirable? I know they are not as permanent as masonry, but they aren't hard to replace. (And I can replace the whole thing if it looks really bad...) I also haven't been able to find any wall materials that look right with my weird-colored bricks, but I think weathered timbers aren't too bad.

Should I rethink this? In general, do timber retaining walls scream out CHEAP! or anything? I despise concrete unit walls, especially with an older home, but I need to feel secure that everyone else doesn't feel that way about timber. Thanks!

Comments (14)