SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_2007

HELP! me design my dumping bed.

dan_2007
16 years ago

Hi, I have a bed at the edge of my backyard that I have never really put alot of thought into. For the most part I have just dumped plants in that either didn't have a home or were discounted because they were half dead at the garden center. I just brought home a large amount of leaf mold compost from the city so I am ready to pull everything out amend the soil and actually put some thought into this spot hopefully with some help from this forum.

It is under a lot of large Norway Maples, is very dry and only has a few hours of direct sun in the morning. I am interested in installing a bog that is about 1/3 the size of the area. I would like to mass plant the rest in large drifts/clumps so it is appealing to look out on from inside my home.

For the bog I currently have:

Two kinds of Ligularia

Rodgersia

Darmera

Ferns

For the Rest:

Shrubs:

Two Pagoda Dogwood

Viburnum Lantana Mohican

Viburnum Summer Snowflake

One Azalea

Herbaceous:

Lots of Hosta's

Lots of Primula

2 kinds of Pulmonaria

Foam Flower

Solomon Seal

Bergenia

This is getting a little long winded so bare with me.

What I am looking for is help with were to place the plant drifts/clumps and what to drift and what to clump. Also were to place the bog and what to border the bog with so it stands out. I also want to add a climbing hydrangea to the shed and I would like any other plants suggestions. I am also not appose to making the bed larger.

He is a drawing of what I have in mind and some photo's of the area. If someone could sent me a little drawing or post one it would be great. E-mail is danchapman2003@yahoo.com. Thanks for your time!

{{gwi:31001}}
{{gwi:31003}}
{{gwi:31006}}
{{gwi:31009}}
{{gwi:31013}}

Comments (5)