SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreaindc

Moving to new house with large open yard. Need help...

andreaindc
17 years ago

My husband and I are moving to Pennsylvania. We have bought a house in an established subdivision (20 yrs old). The lot is relatively large - 1.2 acres, with the house placed in the front quarter. At the rear of the property are some scrubby woods separating us from the house behind. However, to either side of us, the lots are open to each other. The house on one side is fairly far away and backs to our lot, while the other neighbors' side yard meets our backyard. The land slopes slightly, so the houses overlook the yard.

I will be trying to figure out how to create a garden out of this massive lawn without any existing structure to speak of. I know plants fairly well, and I have created borders and beds in the past, but the siting of these has always been obvious to me in our other (older) houses. Developing the overall approach to this lot will be tricky for me.

I don't mind doing the garden in stages - we'll be putting on a new deck and a new patio at the rear of the house soon, so I'll focus my efforts there first. But I'd like to be thinking about how I will begin to handle zoning and defining the rest of the lawn and hopefully making a more private area.

I looked through old posts and found a recommendation for the book Designing your Gardens and Landscapes and will check that out. Any other thoughts about resources or approaches to this would be appreciated.

Sorry to be long-winded. Thanks!

Comments (2)