SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haringfan

Materials Question: Pea Gravel, Mulch, or What?

haringfan
17 years ago

Our new home has eaves that are almost 3.5 feet wide and 10-12 ft. above ground level. That means that there is a substantial skirt around our home that is very dry and we don't want to have to water continuously, nor do we really like foundation plantings, so we thought we would use pea gravel next to the house. However, I've seen people suggest mulch over gravel in some cases and I'd like to know what alternatives might be better, and why. Other suggestions besides mulch or pea gravel are welcome. (I know this isn't really a design question, but I couldn't find a forum with a better fit, and I've been lurking here and it is certainly clear to me that this is a group that is very knowledgeable about materials).

A few pertinent facts:

Whatever we use will probably be in a 4ft strip around the house because we have several tiny decks for access to sliding doors that are 4ft deep so maintenance will be simpler if we just have a 4ft skirt of gravel interrupted by 4ft mini-decks. (It is a tiny house, but almost every room has outdoor access).

The eaves are on all sides of the house (N, S, E, W).

We do not plan to use the gravel or mulch skirt for a pathway.

We're in central Michigan (zone 5).

Because we're building on a vacant lot in an existing neighborhood there are many mature trees nearby, so there will be some leaves blowing around in the fall, but probably not tons.

We have no children and no outdoor pets.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I've added a link to a photo of the house if it will help!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Side View of House

Comments (19)