SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_of_simple

Desperate for advice! Front porch/small budget

garden-of-simple
9 years ago

Hi!
I'm a long time lurker, but a new poster/member.

I'm desperate for help! We moved into this house 5 years ago, and because our budget is and has always been zero, all of our energy and resources have gone into vegetable and fruit gardening out back.

Our "landscaping" is nearly non existent and while I know what I like, I don't know how to do it and certainly not on a budget.

My MIL has offered some assistance as an early birthday gift. Our budget is probably in the 200 dollar range (my husband is a teacher and I stay home, so it's not likely to increase by much for the foreseeable future).

There's a lot that needs to be done, but I'm looking for a good foundation on the cheap that will allow for improvement over time.

The long term plan is to probably paint the house a dark blue/navy/grey. Possibly screen in the wrap around porch (adding a roof on the side).

I'd love to eventually landscape this hill (that is nearly impossible to mow and mostly tall grass and weeds) and create a walkway across the front of the house.

We do not plant edibles Along the house because we find that we have to spray for lady beetles and box elders of we end up with 20,000 on the house and almost as many inside.

Right now the beds extend maybe 2 feet out and perhaps 10-12 feet long on the front and maybe 15-18 feet on the side. I can bring them out further (with some effort, our soil is incredibly rocky).

Currently the left side of the front has some tall grasses by the tree (they haven't grown in yet) I hate them and don't mind getting rid of them, they are lovely for privacy in summer (we live on a semi busy semi country road - we get about 70 cars a day, my across the street neighbor has a farm), but a pain the rest of the year. That's it. The rest is a mess of weeds.

I do have three small burning bushes I can plant. I need something low maintenance and fairly hardy (we are zone 5 and this area gets sun most the day).

I like the look of cottage gardens.

I'm totally lost. I have no ideas. Help?!

We actually use the side door as an entry but it's not well defined, the side space is day lilies and grasses too, currently we stack our wood along that side of the house but that's hopefully changing soon.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (24)