SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vmacaulay0

Radish & lettuce troubles. Please help!

vmacaulay0
14 years ago

OK, here's my situation. I planted radishes and gourmet lettuce greens in two window boxes. I read that they work well in containers, so I figured I'd try it. All seemed to be going well until about two weeks ago. We had a pretty big storm roll through and within the next several days I noticed that my lettuce leaves started looking wilted. I pulled off the damaged leaves, but the rest of them were starting to wilt, too. I water them about once a day,(sometimes twice), since they are in boxes in the Texas heat.

With my radishes, I started to notice holes in the leaves. I started spraying them with a mix of soap, water & baking soda, (a recipe I found online). Well, today I went to check on them and found 3 caterpillars munching away!! The leaves looked so far gone that I figured I should harvest or risk losing them. I thought they were about ready anyway. It'd been 3-4 weeks. Well, I pulled them up to find very small bulbs, not even enough to eat :(

I'm sure I probably did something wrong, seeing as how I'm so new to this. My window boxes get a lot of sun; I'd say at least 5 hours a day. Perhaps too much sun? I pulled out my failed attempt at gardening and started over again today. I mixed in some fresh coffee grounds with my potting soil this time and am considering pulling the boxes back away from the direct sun a bit. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I really want this gardening stuff to work out and I'm feeling frustrated. Thanks!

Comments (4)