SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bichonfriz_gw

Help--Circular Driveway planting bed is ugly

bichonfriz
15 years ago

I am really struggling with some existing landscaping in my front yard. We have a circular(ish) driveway with a teardrop shaped bed in the middle of the loop. The current plantings in the bed are: top of loop near house has two blue spruce trees approx 8ft tall. In the front of those making a third point to the triangle is a sargenti crabapple.(3/12 feet tall) The landscaper also put in some sedum autumn joy in between the spruce and the crab apple. There were some other perennials put in but they have not come back. This bed was put in when we moved into this house. I didn't like it when I saw it and I hate it even more now. It just doesn't look like the right proportions for the front of the house. I think they look too short or something. My home is a stone colonial (eastern Pennsylvania suburbs) and is two story. I think the house just dwarfs the spruce's and they need to be moved.

I think we need to change out the bed with something that is in better lines with the house's proportions. We haven't finished up all the planned stuff in the front of the house yet, but the bed in the driveway is making me nuts as I really HATE it. We did pay to have a landscape plan made but I am not so crazy about it now that I have seen how the driveway bed looks (it was put in with the plan).

I want to put in some clumps of birchs at the top end of bed to replace the evergreens. I also want to take out the crabapple and replace that with a Japanese Maple (the dwarf bushy kind) The only problem is my husband wants to leave the bed alone, even though he doesn't really like the way it looks either. I need some suggestions as I am very new at this. Any other planting suggestions instead of the ones I mentioned? I have only been gardening and planting for the past 5 years. Even with this little experience I can tell the driveway bed just is not working. Help! (We are doing the work ourselves and have had pretty good luck with our plantings, just don't like the plan)

Comments (28)