SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeje_gw

Incorporating light - how best to approach the process?

deeje
17 years ago

What processes do designers go through when deciding on and placing outdoor lighting? Installation seems clear enough to me when there's an architectural accent to highlight (sort of like picture lights in the home) or when there's a tree or other planting to spotlight... but beyond that, what decisions need to be made? What do you need to take into consideration?

Our suburban backyard garden is very dark once evening falls, to the point that I'm a bit concerned about security. People moving through our backyard to gain access to our house or our neighbor's houses would be completely concealed.

But I'd prefer not to use those huge motion lights - they remind me of prison searchlights. I also don't care much for those solar/low-voltage walkway lights that some people use along their driveway, sidewalk or house foundation. These look too much like an airport runway to me, and the color of the light they cast often seems odd, or harsh, or both.

I'd rather incorporate some soft lighting that's an appropriate part of the garden, but I don't have anything in particular to spotlight. How do I decide what sorts of fixtures to add, and where to place them?

I could post photos, but I think I'd prefer to learn general design principles rather than a blueprint for this particular garden.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths