SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsheehan7

too many plants - too much variety?

tsheehan7
15 years ago

I had a landscape design drawn up by a local nursery and while I like the spirit of the design I'm not sure I can agree with the concept of the design. I should have started by saying that I know nothing of the principles of landscape design, but I'm not exactly sure that the person who drew up the plan did either.

Essentially what I have is a large back yard surrounding by 310 feet of wooden privacy fence. Around most of that fence I have dug out landscaping beds and delineated them with a stone border. I would say I have about 250 feet of beds, and for the most part the beds are 4-5 feet deep, with a couple of "jut-outs" that go to 8-10 feet deep.

So far I've planted five frangrant tea olives in a row. They will eventually form a screen to offer more privacy from the houses behind ours. Next to those I've planted six loropetalums to bring in some darker color and give me a little bit of the wilder hedge look (I won't trim them to a sculpted hedge).

These plants are contiguous, and next in the lineup come anthony waterer spirea, dwarf hollies, lantana, pittosporum, etc.

My question is whether all these varying plants, essentially planted in rows, make good sense in landscape design. It seems to me that plants should be repeated in the landscape and depth should be added with multiple plants in the same area. It feels to me like I'm just going to have a row of one plant for 25 feet, followed by another row of another plant for 15 feet, etc. until all the way around the perimeter of my yard are 25 different plants that are never repeated.

Am I right in thinking that I should bring the loropoetalum back in later, that I should use some of the azaleas I have planted next to the house out around the fence, and that fewer varieties of shrubs would actually yield a smoother landscape design?

Sorry to be so wordy, but I need some advice and I don't think I'm getting it from the guy who drew up our plan.

Comment (1)