SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

Underwatered - guard against Blossom End Rot? Dissolve limestone?

aliceinvirginia
14 years ago

I hadn't been watching all my plants closely for a couple days. Even though they were all in self-watering containers, the ones that didn't have covers over them (and some that did) got really dry. I'm not sure which ones emptied the reservoir, and which emptied both the reservoir and dried out the soil.

So for the past couple days I think I've been overwatering to compensate. Is there any way to sneak in some extra calcium right now? I remember hydrated lime (which comes in very large bags and can be dangerous to handle) and also calcuim nitrate.

I think I read something about let some garden lime sit in water for a while, then water the plants with the liquid, and throw away the solid.

I did mix in balanced fertilizer when I mixed the soil. And lime, but I'm not sure if I had the exact recommended amount. Sometimes I followed Al's mix but more often followed the recipe on the earthbox forums.

I'm now top watering with a little bit of a tomato specific fertilizer. Not water soluble, since it is organic based on sugar beets.

I'm also wondering, since I've only got a few plants, if pulling the remains of the blossoms off the ends of the small growing tomatoes would help avoid getting excess moisture on the ends.

Any thoughts?

Alice

Comments (4)