SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindyw3

Bad news and a garden move...:(

Mindyw3
10 years ago

I live in a very suburban area of Omaha. Mostly populated by retirees. Last year I watched helplessly as a 3 foot swath of my veggie garden, sunflowers and forsythias died down after a neighbor sprayed "something" OVER their 6' foot tall wooden fence (no gaps, no accident). And then watched a butternut squash vine brown and die back conmpletely, nothing else was harmed, but the vine was poking through a neighbors fence. I had a panic attack after my boys ate an ENTIRE WATERMELON that was in the spray area and then had the epiphany that it had been sprayed. Calls to the pediatrician, the whole nine.

Well, today I just witnessed my back neighbor, the one who sprayed the squash last year, literally douse the fence line with herbicide. There are very few weeds growing there. Like a handful in the 35 feet of fence. He soaked it!!! He even sprayed his own veggie area which butts up against mine.

I have a 3 and 5 year old who are used to running out and picking whatever and munching it. I feel completely uncomfortable feeding them the veggiesI spend so much time, effort, and money growing now.

SO, I've decided to move all of the beds to the "interior" of the yard now, which gets much less sun. I don't have any idea how they will do. BUt this just has me so upset. I was absolutely livid last year when I realized the couple with the pool had actually come over the fence, which is solid wood, and sprayed my yard including my cucumbers, zucchinis and squash. They killed a forsythis bush fo rchrists sake! 2 feet from a grape vine no less, which is looking pretty sad this spring. I also moved that garden over but MUCH less sun. May not even produce. Those same neighbors came onto the property a few years ago and trampled my srtichokes claiming my dirt was rotting their fence. THey shoveled it out and then my engineer boyfriend said they were idiots because actually the dirt preserves the wood....

I feel at this point it is impossible to grow food chemical free for your little ones and family.. Absolutely impossible. At least the one neighbor will knock my doors I have time to cover my beds with plastic. It sickens me..

So, we've lost all the spring crops except the brassica bed. the only high note, my little ones sat and ate an entire plate of radishes, including the greens tonight. How many kids do that? Especially ones that live in the busy suburbs of a metropolitan area?

Comments (23)