SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pointgardener

Small sloping garden, small budget. Ideas?

14 years ago

The small garden behind my 110 year old Victorian house was neglected for many years and is sadly in need of TLC.

It slopes up away from the back of the house; there is not one flat spot!

The link below will take you to some photos of the garden. This weekend I'll take a few more to better show the overall garden.

There is a raised bed with rotting retaining boards at the back, butting up against a deep concrete retaining wall/fence and the street above. There is a sturdy work shed to the right of the bed, but it's an eyesore. In front of this are ugly stairs going up to the garage access door. I might remove the shed and extend the stairs landing to the back fence, with a new gate, so I can access the house from the street above.

At the back right of the property is a garage building with 'basement', and a wood pile in front of that. The whole right side of the yard is covered in concrete, sloping up toward the garage.

I'd like to replace the rotting board retaining wall with rocks for a naturalized look, and level in a terrace in the middle for chairs and maybe a table. In my dreams I would break out the concrete, but that could get costly.

Overall, the view from the back bedroom is unattractive, and there is nowhere flat to sit and enjoy the garden. I'd love to hear your ideas. What would you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Photos

Comments (4)