SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Single Stem Trellised Cucumbers

I am planting cucumbers in my smaller hoop building. This is the first time to use the building and grow cucs on a trellis. Usually always grow cucs on the ground.

The company reccomends a single stem trellis. Has anyone tried this? Has it been successful? I was planning on using netting with 7 inch holes.

Here are the directions they give.

Tie a twine between a 6-7" high top wire and the base of the plant. Using a loose, single overhand knot:as the plant grows, carefully spiral it up the twine. Prune off all fruit to the 5th node (about 3 1/2') and all side branches to the wire. Pinch out all but one fruit at each node. Water regularly. When the vines reach the wire, allow side branches on 3 nodes to grow, training main stem alond wire allowing side branches to hang.

I have a couple of questions. Can I tie a low wire and tie the twine off to this? I am not crazy about "Hanging" my cucs by tieing a loose knot around the stem. My kids (6,4,2) could easily, accidently pull on it and no more cucs!

Second, do you think I could tie twine between the rows and have the vines travel across and not just hang? I picture a trellis with cucs hanging down in the middle.

Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)