SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

bean trellises

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi,

I've had a cattle panel made into an arch for a couple years for a bean trellis, and its just not working. I think its because of the horizontal parts. So I'm going to try a different way.....with string. But I had a few questions.

I have a bunch of old electrical conduit pipes in the barn, that I made trellises out of so many years ago, I can't even remember how they did. If they are just made like an upside down "U", that wouldn't be very stable would it with thick growth and some wind? (the bottom parts of the legs would be pushed into the ground about a foot) That would be one possibility.

The second idea is putting 10' long cedar 4x4's into the ground (about 2 ft), and spacing them about 8-10' apart. I would attach them across the top with a cedar 2x4. I would figure out how to put string up all along the way.

I know this would be a stronger set-up, but it would be permanent. Is there a problem growing beans in the same place every year?

Also......what kind of string is best.....just cotton or jute? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this is a good start. I appreciate your help.

Also........we have an old swingset frame that I could use. I have concerns over there maybe being something like lead in the paint. The swingset is about 16 years old. What do you think?

Comments (38)