SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

fiberglass fence - thoughts?

nccmama
17 years ago

My 10 year old builder installed 6 foot wooden privacy fence fell down last week in a typical springtime Texas storm. We need to replace it, but my husband doesn't want to get another wooden one because of the lifelong maintenance involved. (He would rather just have a tall hedgerow of shrubs). The problem is that we live in a city on the corner of a fairly busy street that gets a lot of auto and foot traffic, and we also have 3 kids and pets, so I strongly feel that we need something solid as a barrier. It seemed like my only options, then, were wood or vinyl, but I don't care for the white or beige color of a vinyl fence.

While researching on the Web, though, I discovered that they now make fence out of fiberglass. In the pictures, it looks like wood, and it comes in various shades, including a brown wood-like stain. There is supposedly no maintenance ever, and they last for many, many years. For these reasons, it seems like my problem could be solved. But, what do you all think about a fiberglass fence? Is it cheesy and cheap looking? Does anyone have any experience with this material? I live in Texas, so the elements really take a toll on things outdoors, though the company that makes it, Fiberfence, is local, so, I would assume that they have taken this into consideration.

Any thoughts from a design perspective on this fence or what other material could meet my needs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)