SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what soil mix to use in container gardening?

I plan to grow cucumbers from seed; I will plant one cucumber plant per 5 gallon pot.

I have two options with what type of soil mixture to use in container gardening.

I can use a prepackaged soil mix like Miracle gro, which I've heard is the ideal soil mixture to use for container gardening. I would add a little bit of cow manure based fertilizer to help feed what I'm growing in the container.

I would also use some water soluble fertilizer to give what I'm planting more nutrients.

My second option is to use a combination of loam, a soil mix like miracle gro, some peat moss, and the cow manure based fertilizer. I know you're not supposed to use regular top soil or loam for container gardening as it's not suitable for container gardening. However I'm on a tight budget and the reasons I'm using the loam in combination with the peat moss and cow manure fertilizer is

to cut costs. Buying the miracle gro potting mix would

cut into an already tight budget.

Which soil mixture should I use for container gardening? It was recommended to me to add peat moss to either mixture because it will help the soil mixture to retain water.

Comments (5)