SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynthiarc_gw

Townhouse front yard - it is Wild! Ideas Please

cynthiarc
16 years ago

After 10 years of small yard gardening...I am still learning. Now, I really want to get to a more complete state while also renovating.

I finally got to the point of almost no grass and now I need help on what to do especially with recent impulse purchases.

Pics to follow here if I figure out how to upload.

I have an end unit townhouse and small front yard facing mostly west. It has shade til' noon and sun thereafter. Now it gets shade from Dogwood and large tree (not mine).

I just purchased a laceleaf JM veridis (spelling?)and would like to know if it makes sense under the Dogwood. I plan to move both crepe myrtles on this side of yard. I have already trimmed the Euonynmous emerald gaity behind the crepe mrytle and plan to remove it. I plan to move the crawling evergreen (since I have butchered it) and think its root will interfere with JM. The bed under the window needs renovation. ?Can I move the little Camelia? ?How about the peonies? What can I put with the eounymous under the window...I like those.

The left side is wild. I just realized in summer, you cannot see the Dragon Lady Holly because of the large crepe myrtle. I also just purchased a lacecap hydrangea that I think needs to go on side of house (north).

I have wavered between cottage and more formal. I am not a fan of symetry (obviously) but I do need rhythm and balance.

My feelings are not easily hurt...all comments and ideas welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of front yard only

Comments (11)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

You're planning on moving the crape myrtles out, or to the right side?

My first impression is that the dogwood is going to outgrow that space before too long, and you'll have to do a lot of pruning to keep it from interfering with the next-door stoop and hitting the house. The myrtles can be limbed up and pruned a bit more easily, I think.

I'd like to see the transition from grass to bed made a bit neater. On the right, re-do the brick edging to make either a smooth curve, or take it from the corner of the building out to the sidewalk in a straight line. Same on the left side.

As you seem to realize, your layering is a bit backwards, with large plants in front of small, obscuring them. I also think you're planting too close to the building in general.

Otherwise, it has charm, and the plants look pretty healthy. I think I would have placed a small tree to the left, instead of the right, out near the bed edge to give the canopy as much space as possible, but it could be the dogwood is where it is to provide some afternoon shade to the windows?

You can move anything that's small enough to dig up, but do it when the weather is cooler. If you must move things now, be vigilant about watering and maybe even try to shade them until they recover a bit.

• cynthiarc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Saypoint.

I plan on moving the miniature crepe myrtle and the petite that are in the side with the dogwood out (probably giving away). I am planning on waiting until weather is right.

The builder put that dogwood in every yard and yes it need pruning.

the edging from the side of the yard is half complete (I am infamous for starting ....) I agree a smooth curve. I am looking for someone to hire for that..I no longer want to DIY those parts of landscaping. The left side I will make a straight line as you suggest.

And, yes I have planted some things too close to the building, two of my crepe myrtles (one you cannot see) and the Dragon Lady Holly are too close. Also, a large Weigela on the side of the house has to be moved.

Is it too crowded to put the JM under the dogwood.

Thank you for your input.

• Related Discussions

Tropical Front Yard ideas please

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello! What are your coldest night temps and how long does the temp stay that low? If you are in Florida, you may want to post this in the Florida Gardening forum. Val
    ...See More

Front yard design ideas please

Q

Comments (1)
    Here are a few ideas. (It is a clipped hedge below the pair of windows at right side.)
    ...See More

please help with front yard landscape ideas

Q

Comments (1)
    These were old pic taken from when I first moved in around 2 years ago. I will post new pics with the work I have completed and unhappy with.
    ...See More

Beach house front yard ideas please!

Q

Comments (20)
    Not landscaping suggestion, but the first thing I would do is paint the garage doors the same color as the house so they are not the glaring focal point. eta: I just spent a little time googling pictures of homes in Galveston. I found many pics of homes with lots and approaches like yours, but very few with any real landscaping. I don't know if it's because beach homes are more vacation homes so low maintenance, or frequent storms/flooding or maybe the sun/heat, but almost all of them simply had planted a number of palm trees with no other beds at all. I did see these that might give you some ideas: This probably wouldn't work with your offset garage and shorter driveway, but I thought it looked great:Here's a similar one with offset garages that kind of breaks up all the concrete and makes a walkway to the front door, along with a nicely planted side yard:
    ...See More
  • mjsee
    16 years ago

How large is your acer palmatum dissectum 'Viridis'? Is it a fairly good size, or still very much a baby? You could take the dogwood down and replace it with the 'Viridis'...

Also-- what is the sun situation in your yard? 'Viridis' needs some shade in the afternoon to help protect it from leaf-tip burn. Won't HURT the tree, but the leaves aren't as pretty.

'Viridis' is on my "list." Right after 'Tamukeyama.' You are going to be VERY happy with the fall color.

melanie

• cynthiarc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Viridis JM is in a 7G containter and is only about 3.5 feet tall. I had previously toyed with moving dogwood but it now provides shade that I thought was needed for the JM. Also, it is expense I am not sure I wanted to incur. The JM could possibly go in back yard (east facing) but there I cannot see it when I come and go.

What I am hoping is to create some balance and more rhythm. Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep toying with it.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Well, I happen to think it may have a few problems, like some things maybe too large for the space, but overall, I think it is beautiful, and very lush looking. It probably won't stay that way since things will get bigger, but for now, I love the look. I am no expert by any means, and just a newbie here myself hoping to learn from others, but I like it.
    Sherry

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

One thing you could try with the japanese maple is planting it in a big pot for a few years and see how it does near the dogwood. If it doesn't do well, you can move it to another part of your yard. Apparently japanese maples do well in big pots and that might be a good situation permanently for it because then it wouldn't have to compete for root space with the ever growing dogwood, which is a problem you're going to have no matter what you put under the dogwood. It's not a horribly rooty plant but still, some plants play nicer together than others.

• cynthiarc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That, Lpinkmountain, is an excellent idea!! I was already planning on leaving it in the container until fall anyway. That is what I am going to do because that leaves me the option of moving it and potentially removing the dogwood. Renegade Gardener says do not be afraid to move or remove trees.

Sheshebop, I am also new to this forum and I have tried to crowd in lot of stuff in this small yard. I would love to move to a smaller or same size house on a huge lot...so I could have some of everything I want. Between now and fall I will be removing some shrubs to modify the look to be a little more tame.

Any other suggestions, anyone for changes to this front yard?

• mjsee
    16 years ago

It's pretty easy to keep a JM in a pot...my only caveat would be that you may need to insulate the pot during the winter. I've read that bubble wrap, wrapped around the outside of the pot, does a good job. If you don't like the way it looks you can wrap the bubble wrapped pot in burlap. (Thanks Southern Living!)

You may need to root prune every couple of years. Did you know that there is a GW forum dedicated to maples? Linked below.

melnaie

Here is a link that might be useful: GW maple forum

• cynthiarc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you Mjsee - I have visited the container forum. I will start pot and burlap hunt. I will hop over now to Maples forum.

Thank you all for your advice.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

Random thoughts:

What I see is a plant collection. One of everything. Can you get rhythm without repetition?

Have you considered limbing up the dogwood and one of the crape myrtles before whacking them down? Get a good book on pruning before butchering anything. It looks as if that shrub on the right of the walkway may hang over soon, if not now.

There's nothing that draws me to the front door. IMHO, the front door should be framed, the way one's hair frames the face and a mat frames a photo. It should look open and welcoming without an obstacle course to reach it.

Am I correct that the JM you have grows only to 10' tall and 5' wide? Can it can fit in under the dogwood if the dogwood is limbed up and the JM is near the sidewalk without hanging over? A 5' wide plant would only need have the trunk about 3.5' from the sidewalk.

A more up-to-date look for the brick would be vertical rather than rick-rack. (Another thanks to Sou. Living.) Edith Henderson used two, one flat.

Nell

• cynthiarc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Nell. Your feedback lets me know I am on the right track in my thinking. Yes this JM gets 8 to 10 feet. I am thinking of limbing up the dogwood and the larger crepe myrtle. The other two crepe myrtles, the smaller and the one by the stoop I plan to move and hope a friend will take them.

I did start out trying to have some of everything and a lot of crepe myrtle, becuase I love them so. Now, rhythm through repetition is what I am seeking to do. The question is "what to repeat and where" ? That short crepe myrtle by the sidewalk is at its full size and it has already been forced from over the walk.

I have two more euonymous boxwoods (the small shrub) to add to the four I have. Although I just added two of the three peonies, I have already decided that I want to move all three..probably to the backyard with the other 5 or 6 peonies there. I also plan to move the Camelia although I have read they resent being moved. I wonder if I should get another Euonymous greenspire (in front of window) or get something with a differnt shape and taller for either side.

I have finally decided I cannot have some of everything so I will go with my favorites (front, back and side).

I have to research the brick thing since I am not getting what you say. But allwork should move faster once I find some assistive labor. I simply do not want to do the really hard labor myself anymore.

Thank you for your feedback..I really appreciate it.