SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidik_gw

Any creative ideas/help for potential patio?

heidik
17 years ago

Hello :-)

I've spent a lot of time reading this forum and other websites about how to make an affordable patio at the home I rent. Unfortunately I seem to be reading conflicting things about gravel so I'm hoping someone here can help.

The space I would like to turn into a patio area for a bench, two chairs, and firepit table is a place right next to the house and entryway where grass will not grow. So it is just dirt... and during the fall/winter is very muddy.

My problems are:

1. I rent this house and will be living here for three more years... so while I would like something nice/comfortable, I can't do anything too permanent that the landlord can't remove later (relatively easily) if he wants.

2. Because I rent I do not want to invest much. I am also a graduate student so my budget for this project is rather small (no more than $200, preferably less). This budget is just for the patio itself as I already have some nice patio furniture.)

3. I won't have any help for this project so it needs to be a one woman job. :-)

From the research I've done, it seems that gravel is the "poor man's patio stone" so I've been thinking that's the most reasonable choice for me.

I've read some articles by landscapers talking about how gravel can be a nice and comfortable option etc. However, I have read threads here and elsewhere talking about how gravel is to be avoided at all costs... and that it's better to save up until you can afford something else. Well... that's not really possible for my current situation, so... I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice.

Note: The driveway is made of a large size gravel... maybe 3/4" or 1" pieces so there is already gravel "around" in the grass etc... So if I added another gravel area I wouldn't be creating a new problem in that regard for the landlord.

Here are two pictures of the dirt area I would like to turn into a sitting/patio area...

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Foxy4tune/?action=view&current=Image351.jpg

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/Foxy4tune/?action=view&current=Image350.jpg

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Comments (15)