SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxgreg

My coleus is pouting, not growing. What's eating it?

pdxgreg
18 years ago

Every year I pot up a number of large planters with mixes of annuals, perennials, bulbs and grasses.

The coleus is slower than the rest to start growing every year. This year, it's slower than ever. Everything else is growing like crazy.

I need the coleus to catch up as it is a primary filler plant among taller things (cannas, purple founain grass) and trailing things (verbenas, sweet potato vines, lobelias).

The weather has been mostly cloudy, with some sun breaks and few sunny days. Everything is receiving plenty of moisture. I put Osmocote in the planters at time of planting.

One thing that has happened to some, but not all, of the coleus is that the leaves are being seriously munched on. They have huge holes in them. I thought it was slugs, but I put slug bait in the pots and have only killed a few. What else likes to eat coleus? Maybe earwigs?

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. As I said, even the ones that aren't being eaten are just sitting there. Are they waiting for hotter days? that would surprise me since most coleus are grown in shade. (These, by the way, are the coleus that are supposed to like sun as well as shade.)

Help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH