SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Market vs Seed Potatoes Photos, U pick.....`

There has been a few posts recently about market purchased potatoes vs "seed" potatoes for planting. I started one, and commented on another and think there were others. Anyway, here's photos of both flavors...."U" pick.

{{gwi:35016}}

This is a "gen-u-ine" Red Pontiac seed potato resting on the ten lb. bag it came in ($4.99). BTW, the bag states that 5lbs. of potatoes will plant a 50 foot row and should yield 50-75 lbs. of Potatoes.

{{gwi:35017}}

This is a potato taken from our pantry which is about a week old and already shows "eyes" so will sprout. These are just potatoes bought at our local grocery.

{{gwi:35018}}

This is a Russett potato which I purchased for an experiment in growing them. I soaked the potatoes in water for a couple hours to remove or diminish any "anti sprouting" treatment, allowed to dry well and put in a dark spot in the pantry. I purchased a bag of the large "bakers," for $2.99 (on sale) and it weighed 8 lbs. and had 8 potatoes.

As you can see, they all have eyes and if planted properly in adequate soil, and given reasonable growing conditions will yield a crop.

As I said in a previous post, I always use certified seed potatoes as the few pennies difference doesn't seem worth the risk. The Large Russets aren't available here as "seed" so went the "market" path and intend to plant them as an experiment.

Remember, if you plant whole small potatoes or cut larger ones, seed or market, if you don't see "eyes" DON'T PLANT THEM.

Just sharing,

Ev

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!