SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Formal landscape advice

joannemb
14 years ago

Wondering if anyone can help me with this... The link below shows what I have so far--and it's all newly planted, so it's pretty sparse. I'd like the boxwoods to form a neat short hedge (right now they are still little round balls.) In front of the boxwood hedge (not toward the house, but toward the street) are a row of carrie ann mini hostas (green with white margin and white flowers.) Some of them are just starting to peek up now so you can't see them in the picture. The tree on the left is a Tardiva hydrangea tree and the tree on the right is a kousa white flowering dogwood. On the right side of the house, we will be planting a hedge of limelight hydrangeas (8 of them) with the first one starting at the edge of the porch.

Globemaster allium are on either sides of the house columns--in groupings of 5. The planters will be filled with white annuals like superbells and some lamium for a spiller.

The left bed is newly planted with white nancy lamium---hopefully it will cover the entire inside area around the tardiva tree kept in bounds by the boxwood hedge around it.

My question is about the bed around the dogwood (on the right.) I'd like to repeat the lamium around that area--for balance, but feel like I need something to keep it contained. I was thinking about planting a different mini hosta like blue mouse ears or teaspoons to form a circle around the tree (I know, the dreaded tree ring...but since it's kind of a part of bed and not just in the middle of the lawn I'm hoping it isn't quite so dreadful? I don't mind them personally, but I know it's seen as a faux paux right? Anyway I'm wondering, should I just continue the carrie ann hosta around this bed (would be the safe route) or should I add a different shape/color hosta for variation? I really think any more of carrie ann would be overkill, and I'd like to add a different shape.... but I don't have anywhere to 'repeat' it in the landscape, so will it just stick out like a sore thumb? Be kind of unbalanced? Your thoughts?

Lastly, I know the landscape should technically come out from the house more, but we have kids--who like the yard to play baseball etc. and I'm just trying to do what I can with the little bit of space that is my own :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)