SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

re-use of growing mix

njitgrad
10 years ago

A couple of months ago I started a related thread in the vegetable forum but thought I would move it to here to get some more opinions.

Having never been serious about container gardening until this season (even more so with each passing day) I have a question that relates to re-use of growing mix.

I purchased large GeoPots this season in which I am growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, string beans and herbs. I used a 50/50 mix of garden-center organic compost to ProMix BX, nothing else. My tomatoes, herbs and beans are loving where they are. The jury is still out on the peppers and eggplant.

Looking ahead to the end of this season into the start of next season, I'm just trying to figure out ahead of time what I should do with the growing mix and the containers.

Before winter I want to wash and put away the GeoPots so I will have to dump the mix. I don't have any large barrels to store the mix, nor anyplace to store the barrels. My only option is to dump it all in a big pile in the middle of my garden on a tarp, covered by another tarp until Spring.

In the early Spring I plan to re-use the mix from the pile but only after mixing each shovel full from the pile with a shovel full of compost.

I'd like to know the pros/cons of doing it this way. From what I've read some people do something similar, others do not re-use potting mix. For the latter how does one discard it season after season if he/she doesn't have an area of property to dump it on.

Comments (13)