SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Ideas for plants around a curved (dirt) driveway?

I have always loved those long drives flanked by trees with a vista of the (grand) old house in the distance framed by the trees. Of course, I don't have that long straight driveway to work with and the house isn't a mega manse either!

WHat I have is a dirt driveway (very country) that parallels the road that the front of the house faces, then curves gradually up and comes to a gravelled parking space near the remnants of a stone bank barn ramp. Imagine a kind of lopsided "smile" from 7 to 3 o'clock.

The driveway is sunken compared to the grassy lawn which rises up on either side of the ruts. There is an unrelieved sward of green toward the house except for an ancient ash tree and a widening area toward the road as the drive curves and meets yet another short "barn service" driveway which comes straight from the same road.

I was wondering if I could plant small flowering trees on either side of the curved drive or if that would simply look odd given that they don't serve to frame the house. Suggestions on how to creatively treat that space? Right now, it's nothing but grass and a single large tree in the whole view to the house. (House is interesting looking old white country vernacular Georgian with 3 bay extended wing paralleling that road).

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!