SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

Growing Waltham broccoli in Spring

12 years ago

This year I was terribly proud of myself for starting broccoli seeds on time, and creating some beautiful seedlings that are just about ready to go out, right on time. I thought surely they'd be better than the transplants of the unnamed variety I've purchased from Home Depot in recent years.

Then I started reading more carefully about the variety I chose, which is "Waltham." Apparently this variety was bred to do well as a Fall crop, and here I am, intending to grow it in the Spring. I know I originally purchased these seeds because they were open-pollinated, and claimed to produce prolific side shoots...and, probably, because the town of Waltham that this variety is named for isn't far from where I live.

Am I going to regret trying to grow this variety in the Spring? With my unnamed Home Depot broccoli, I was consistently cutting heads in late June, and harvesting side shoots until mid-December, and I guess I was hoping to do that again. Should I just toss my seedlings in the compost, and buy my Home Depot transplants again? Would planting them in a not-quite-so-sunny part of the garden help?

I'm located in Massachusetts, in the Boston area. Living in the city, I have limited garden space, and there's only just so much space devoted to broccoli -- so trying both isn't an option.

Thanks!

Comments (5)