SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Tear our or Save?

kahlanne
15 years ago

We finally received the go ahead on our addition plans but there is one issue that I am not sure which option to choose. We are closing in the carport to give us two more rooms and a bath with french doors leading out to the pool. Currently we have an old patio and a sunroom next to the carport. The patio is horrible with concrete that slopes back to the house and causes problems with moisture and misquitos. Not good anywhere but even worse in Louisiana. The sunroom was a cheap metal addition built by the previous owners. The walls are rotting and the roof leaks. Several windows are broken as well. We want to tear out both the sunroom and the patio but the issue is whether we should tear out the slab under the sunroom too. It is level with the house, about 3-4 inches above the patio concrete and has access to our masterbedroom thru french doors. We have considered adding a new sunroom but I am looking for different options since it was underused.

Dh says leave the slab and create a "MBR" patio complete with a spa. He also suggested possibly an outdoor kitchen in the space. My issue is visualizing it. What becomes of the space that we removed the patio? This leaves a gap between the sunroom's slab and the living area's french doors. Due to thinkness and size, adding a new concrete patio in the gap to the thickness of the other areas would be too much expense. Any recommendations?

The sunrooms slab is 15' X 25'. The patio area is 19'7 X23'. I am trying to upload pics so you can see what we are working with. The pool can be seen in the pics as well. It is quite large, 20X40, but with decking measures 36'X60'.

It may be hard to tell with all of the numbers listed but the sunroom is on your upper left with the patio on the right of it nearer the "L" part of the house. It is actually drawn using dotted lines.

{{gwi:22789}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)