SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlelemon29

coconut husk/fir bark safety question (Al?)

littlelemon29
18 years ago

good evening all,

I have been reading a long time about all the different 'soils' everyone uses for their citrus trees.

I would like to have a go at building my own soil using fir bark or coconut husks, but they are very hard to come by. I found some items at Pet Smart today in the reptile dept labeled 100% coconut husks and they are from Sri Lanka (isn't that where everyone says theirs comes from).. Do you think these are the same and would they be safe to pot citrus in? I don't want to use something that is going to poison me or anything. The husks are in little chunks- would you just rinse them like everyone does theirs or use as is? The bag was about $8.29 for 10 dry qts- if I remember correctly. It looks like it would help to make a beautiful potting medium.

I'm really concerned whether these items would be toxic to humans or if they are safe, as I will be eating the fruit from the trees- hopefully:) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe "Al" could help since I have been reading his material about how to plant things with fir bark and turface and such. He has me really interested in trying a different potting medium.

I will be posting this over on the citrus forum also, as I am very anxious for input on this.

Thanks in advance all.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor