SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

Peppers and cousins as perennial crops time to prune

cabrita
15 years ago

This could be of interest for folks who garden or have gardened in Zones 8, 9, 10 and 11.

This is the second year (even third) for a couple of my pepper beds. I had some time on the day after the first day of spring and it was really easy to tell which of my peppers were going to make it or not. I would say about 80% of the C. annum that were not transplanted will make it. I did mulch them really heavily when I went away on winter vacation. You can see the tiny new leaves sprouting in many of them. It was time to remove all the dying and browning foliage, cut all the way down to the new growth. Some of them did not show any growth, no sign of new life, just a brown stalk. I left them to hold a place for the new set of pepper seedlings growing inside. Many of these headed for the compost bin were C annum that were transplanted in their dormant stage. Very low success rate with them. However, peppers in species other than C. annum showed good recovery from transplant.

This Âzenful pruning took me quite a while on a gorgeous spring day, and it made me think of several unique problems to this way of gardening. Not only do I have perennial peppers, but also living mulch (annual and perennial herbs) around them in many instances. This makes side dressing and adding compost a little difficult, tilling is out of the question. I can add fertilizer, but it is much easier in liquid form. I planted them in very rich soil, but this was a year ago, so a lot of the nutrients might be depleted. Several look like they are ready for another round of pepper production though, no problem.

My eggplants seem even hardier than the peppers, and required less drastic pruning. They look like they are ready to go. The okra on the other hand (I know, not a solenacea), joined the compost pile. No new growth at all. They did produce until December, so I wanted to experiment and see if they could be treated as a perennial. Not for this z9 garden anyway.

Yes, I have a tomato or two that are still around and producing. One is a cherry, but it is a F1 hybrid from a Campari (I found out laterÂ). It is OK, but it will make room for a sungold pretty soon. The other is a ribbed zapotec tomato that never produced much, so I will also take it out when I get a large enough seedling from inside. A couple of years ago though, I had some tomatoes in z10 that kept going, we liked them so they stayed with us two years.

If you keep peppers, eggplants and other solenacea (or others) as perennials, how do you take care of their fertilizing needs? Any other care we should take with our peppers and eggplants as perennials? Please share your experiences; this is hard to find in gardening books.

Comments (12)