SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Landscaping without curves - passe?

EngineerChic
12 years ago

We're 1/3 done adding a new second floor and porch to our modest cape. I need to figure out the landscaping so the porch stairs are set correctly (there will be a concrete pad for the stringers to rest on). I've been looking at pictures to get some ideas and I have noticed that nearly every picture has sweeping curves for walkways, borders, etc.

Are straight lines ... out of fashion? Are they generally seen as poor design or unimaginative?

Here is the inspiration for our remodel:

{{gwi:21763}}

And here is our house & front yard as they are today (again, construction is still underway):

{{gwi:21765}}

Additional things will change in the future, like the existing stairs/deck that lead from the breezeway to the driveway. And again - this is a work in progress - I'm not looking for feedback on house/garage since we're working with what was here when we bought the place (I know the garage is ugly, we'll get to that later).

But what I could use feedback on is this ... do we NEED curves or can I just work with straight lines for the walkway to the porch & plants around the house?

Common wisdom is to "design it for your own taste" but on the other hand, if I'm missing something let me know. I like front yards that look neat & tidy as opposed to natural & rustic, and I think that's why the straight lines & right angles appeal to me. I'm just not seeing many good examples of this online.

Comments (15)