SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fun_gi

Foliage Pro calcium deficiency

fun-gi
11 years ago

Hello,

I have been using Al's gritty mix almost exclusively since the beginning of spring (which based on temps and not the calendar, came quite early this year here in San Antonio). I was able to find what seemed to be the last gallon jugs of foliage pro in town, and quickly bought them. They had been in the warehouse for a year and had formed maybe a teaspoon or two of crystals in that time. I called Dyna-Gro and was told that the fertilizer had an indefinite shelf life. I then followed all directions and any advice I could find on the internet to try to re-dissolve the crystals. No matter what I did I could not get all of them to dissolve.

I began using the foliage pro anyway, and over the last month or so began noticing deficiency symptoms in about a half dozen plants. I first tried epsom salts in the hopes it was just too little magnesium, but had no change.

I then called Dyna-Gro again, and found out that they have found that 2 different types of crystals usually form. I don't know what the other would have been, but from my description I was told that mine were probably calcium sulfate. Also, the amount of crystals I had that would not dissolve would probably make up about half of the calcium that was originally in the fertilizer.

Sorry this was so long to get to the point, but I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as I could for other FP users.

I went and bought Botanicare's Cal Mag Plus to supplement the calcium as I read good reviews about it. If anyone has any experience using the cal mag your input would be appreciated. I used it at full strength the first time, but any advice on weaker amounts in conjunction with the foliage pro would be useful.

Thanks as always,

Billy

Comments (15)