SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allhaileris

Prepping soil in established garden

allhaileris
12 years ago

We just moved into a house that had a garden already established. I've only done container gardening before, and don't want to mess up what's already setup. The last guy that lived there was an enologist and was making wine in the garage. We have three grape vines (1 think two table, one red wine) and two bags of grape casings to use when we need them. There is a cherry, apple and nectarine tree. The garden is not boxed at all, but blocked out fairly well. Right now there is arugala planted, and flowered (we were told to cut off the tops and let it keep growing, but I want to rip it out and plant tomatoes there), kale and chard in one area (both are starting to flower, so we need to harvest those), one area with onions & a few potatoes (allergic to onions, so those will be given away and not replaced). A few areas are fallow with a weed growing that will be pulled out soon.

One area was completely covered in straw, dead leaves and I'm guessing a little compost. I chose that area to clear out and till yesterday. When I cleared it out I found a bunch of dog bones and corn cobs. I left just a little hay in there and pushed the rest of the hay to the sides to keep the weeds down. I tilled it with the only thing I had, a hand tool that grabs and twists, which seemed to till it down a good 6" or so, then I raked, evened things out, looked for chunks of things, made sure there were no liquid amber balls in there. It will rain again over the next few days and I thought I would go rake again and plant when the rain clears for a few days at some point this week.

I was able to go to the garden supply store and talk to the master gardeners, who were all excited for us. They told me to plant my peas NOW and I grabbed seeds for frost tolerant peas, carrots, beets, turnips, endive and romaine lettuce. Unfortunately I can't just kidnap them and keep asking questions.

I don't want to screw up what I think is already pretty well established dirt. I want to make sure I put everything into the soil that needs to be there before I put in the seeds. Do I need to till in more compost or hay? Do I need to add fertilizer, and if so, what kind? There was some 16/16/16 in the shed, but it looked kind of old. Do I need to get the soil tested? Or can I just put the seeds out there and see how it goes?

The garden ladies did like the chart I made about how/when/where I plant things through the summer. It'll take a while to weed all the plots, so I'm just doing one area at a time, depending on what needs to be planted and when. After I get the root veggies/peas in, I want to pull out the greens. Should I cover it in a couple inches of compost as soon as that's done, let it sit for a few weeks, till it in and then plant my tomatoes (not seeds, but plants)? What should I do with the fallow areas?

I'm trying to get an idea of the pre-prep stuff I need to do so I can stay on top of it and plan ahead of time. In the end I want a lot of tomatoes and green beans because I can can those for sure.

We do have a compost pile, but we've been told it's not done enough to use for the garden yet. That's going to have to be another discussion, but we can buy a bag of something until we figure it out, and we do have the grape casings and a bunch of hay. There are pebbles and garden fabric that you can tell they intended to build boxes and put in gravel pathways.

I am not worried about too much food, I am worried about messing up the soil or ending up with whimpy plants. We'd like to stay organic if possible.

Comments (12)