SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
accordian_gw

Mood in the Landscape

accordian
18 years ago

Looking through the threads on this forum certain themes seem to present themselves. It seems everyone's looking for a presentable landscape design. Something neat and attractive. Something low-maintenance and with hardy plants. There are certainly standard guidelines for using texture, form, rhythm, color etc. to create a pleasing design. And paying attention to the site when selecting plants and hardscape materials goes a long way toward making a landcape fairly easy to care for. But where does the practical bump up against the ethereal? Does anyone design for mood in the garden?

I'm not talking about a vague idea of "the peacefuless of nature". Nor am I referring to any particular garden style although one could certainly make the case that a cottage garden, for example, with its abundance and riotous colors is cheerful. That cheeriness seems to be a by-product of the design rather than its guiding principal. I am also not referring to theme gardens like those that feature plants mentioned in the Bible or in Shakespeare or which include only, say, black plants. It seems to me those border (or fall over the border and scatter the mulch) into pure kitsch.

I'm talking about designing with the idea to create a specific mood in the experience of a landscape. For example, I've recently been reading about a certain period in Italian landscape design where gardens were meant to be startling or to provoke wonder  there was one amazing garden with a grotto that somehow echoed with the sounds of the dead rising (not too sure actually what that would sound like. I suspect the sound may resemble my neighbor screeching at her husband. Or maybe I'm just confusing that with sounds that wake the dead). Another obvious example would be a traditional Japanese landscape which is designed for reflection and contemplation.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone here designs with a specific mood or feeling to be experienced in their landscape. If we do not, should we consider doing so? Are our landscapes the poorer for missing emotional content?

Comments (22)