SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_budding

Front yard- help please! from a newbie gardener.

gardener-budding
16 years ago

My husband and I are looking for help/suggestions with our new front yard. Any suggestions would be very appreciated! Thank you in advance!

We live in Minnesota- Zone 4b. The front of our home faces East.

We are looking to remove some over grown bushes, replace a retaining wall, and add plants/bushes.

Below is a picture from earlier today. We started by taking down the overgrown bushes.

{{gwi:19012}}

Below is a picutre of the home after removing the bushes today.

{{gwi:19013}}

Here is a picture that my huband made for me. It is just quick a quick example of what the retaining wall may look like. He knows that I am not very good at visualizing. (He does have quite a bit of experience building walls.)

{{gwi:19015}}

I do love to garden (but I am a new gardener), so the idea of using wood chips/mulch instead of rocks in a planting bed seems like a good idea for me. It seems like it will be easier to add more selections at later times. Does anyone have opinions about the difference?

On a side note, if color matters, we will be also painting our home. We will be changing the main color to a lighter green and the trim boards a off white color.

Again thank you for the help! We really appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or opinions!

(Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, my husband took it with his camera phone.)

Comments (5)