SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kruise_gw

Does a Landscape Designer Really Need to Remap My Small Yard?

kruise
12 years ago

Six years ago I paid a landscaper to put in pavers in my side yard. He designed a wonderful hardscape. When he was finished I realized I wasn�t up to the task of picking out the right shrubs and doing the planting so I asked if he any experience to which he said yes. To make a long story short, most of the plants turned out to be shade loving plants and the soil he brought in turned out to be sand. So too much sun, and sand that repels water after having caked in the sun, the plants that are still alive look horrible.

What I would like is for the plants to be replaced with appropriate shrubs and some a little bit of potting soil or whatever brought in. So I set up an appoint with a landscaping company with a good reputation. A designer came out and said it cost $1500 to $5000 to measure the yard and put together a plan. Since the hardscape is done why is it so costly to propose 20 replacement plants? Am I going about things wrong? There is no change to the hardscape so can't designers work by the hour?

And before anyone asks, the original landscaper guaranteed the plants for 1 year but I couldn�t get him back out the next summer when the plants started to die. He has since retired.

Comments (8)