SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtam0707

Potato Question- Timeline

mtam0707
13 years ago

I live in So. Cal where temps lately (roughly a month) have been between 65-78 highs & 39-48 lows. We've had intermittent rain, but mostly sunshine.

Three weeks ago I cut my seed potatoes per the instructions & dug a deep trench & planted them, eye sides up, after letting the cut side harden overnight. I covered them with soil, leaving plenty of space for hilling, as the plant pops up.

Of course the night after we planted these potatoes, we had an unexpected frost hit (nothing major, since this is CA) & now I'm worried that might have hurt/killed the seed potatoes. I am concerned because it has been three weeks & there is no signs of plant life in the trench. We haven't had any other frosts & I am looking forward to the rest of this week because we are actually going to have pretty warm weather (low 80's).

Does anyone know how long it takes seed potatoes to start growing? If a couple more weeks goes by with no plants, should I dig one up to see if it is rotten, or damaged? I don't want to wait too long then find out they are dead & have to plant more later.

Any advice on this will do, as I have been quite unsuccessful with potatoes in the past. Thank you!

Comments (6)