SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Width of Pathway

aloha2009
12 years ago

We've got the layout of patios and pathways figured out but struggling with the issue of how wide of a path to create. The path will extend from the front yard to the back and across most of the width of the back.

A 4' wide path seems appropriate from the driveway through a meandering 50' path and down to the bottom level. The thought behind that decision was.

1. The current expansion joint on the driveway is 4'

2. It would be nice to walk side by side since the side yard will be landscaped beautifully.

3. The width of the steps that are "cut out" of the retaining wall is 4'

Once you pass through the retaining wall steps, visually the area will open up. Our lake will be the focal point. The walkway will have a 15' patio to one side and as you turn, we will walk along side the top of another retaining wall for about 60'. Since this walkway will be abutted to another patio (14 x 225) next to the house, I'm concerned that having that much hardscaping together is going to feel very harsh.

When I look at the roped off 4' areas, I'm concerned that I will have an effect of all hardscaping next to a beautiful lake. Though we're leaving a 4' area between the pathway and retaining wall for an extensive flower bed, I can't help but think 3' would soften the area up.

The entire landscaping will be xeriscaped with NO grass. That said, the remaining unhardscaped areas will be lush with an extensive array of plants and flowers. We've considered putting plants in pots along the 4' walkway to soften it up but I feel uneasy about it. I've lived long enough to know that if it doesn't feel right, it isn't right.

Is there anyway you can think to transition from a 4' area to a 3' area w/o it actually being noticed? I'm OK with the 4' area everywhere except where I want it to look it's best.

Comments (6)