SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_sandy

Mel's Mix versus mixes with soils

gardener_sandy
14 years ago

It was suggested that I bring this discussion over here from the vegetable forum. I'll cut/paste a bit of it and hope you will excuse me for double posting.

Do any of you grow exclusively in Mel's mix (1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, as suggested by Mel Bartholomew in Square Foot Gardening?) I mean, are your beds (or containers) filled with it and lined so roots can't reach soil and you have used NO fertilizer except the recommendation to add compost when replanting squares?

If you have, what kind of results have you gotten? Do your plants grow strong and healthy? Are they nice and green? Do you get good production from them? Have you grown in soil before, and if so, how do the gardens compare?

I guess my main concern in true SF gardens without access to the soil beneath is the possibility of a lack of some nutrients the soil provides that may not be present in the mix. We're still learning more and more about the soil and microherd and nutrients and such. Plants were adapted to growing in soil and I worry that it's difficult to match that with "soilless" mixes. (Yes, I know there can be trace amounts of soil in compost but perhaps it's not enough to compensate???)

I'm asking because I teach a class on small space vegetable gardening and I'm worried that I may be leading the students astray when I suggest box-type raised beds or containers with some mix that's similar to Mel's but without access to the native soils.

Sandy

Comments (22)