SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

Why are the roots growing differently in different containers?

macthayer
15 years ago

I spent the better part of a day potting up several outdoor containers (and yes, they are still in the green house -- still a tad too cold here to put them out -- but I'd bought the flowers and wanted to get the containers done.) Anyway, it took me much, much longer than I had anticipated, and the reason for that was because of the little, 4-pack plants that I used for fillers. I found that in virtually all of the plants, their roots were root bound and going in a circular way from the top to the bottom of the potting medium. I felt I needed to painstakingly loosen up these roots in order to give the plants their best advantage in the pots, and not just let them continue to grow their roots around the plant. At least, doing this -- releasing a root bound plant -- is what I've always been taught and read was the best course of action. I also noticed that the bigger plants had their roots somewhat root bound, but only minimally (early in the season) and the roots were growing down toward the base of the pot, and in some cases, out the drainage holes or around the base of the pot. In comparison to those tiny plants, these were easy to "unbind" as they involved just a few roots to loosen up. I don't understand -- why would the roots of plants grow so differently just because they're in a smaller pot? Or does it have nothing to do with the pots? And does anyone have a faster way to loosen up these root-bound little babies? I have a LOT more to do, mainly because I'm adding an annual bed, and adding some annuals to some perennial beds. Many thanks for any help. MacThayer

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions