SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lou_m_gw

slow growing seedlings

15 years ago

This year i bought a new light fixture for starting seedlings. It uses T5 flourescent lights - 6 bulbs about 3" apart and 42" long. This fixture replaced old T12 "shop lights" with various grow light bulbs i used over the years and was never satisfied with. I thought my new fixture would make starting seedlings really take off.

I started a number of plants on 2/16. I used miracle gro potting mix in little 1 1/2" plastic pots (6/flat and 8 flats to tray). They took forever to come up; some plants still coming out of the ground after 2.5 weeks. Now these plants, (tomato, pepper, & eggplant) are still only 1.5" tall and a couple still have their original leaves stuck together. I just started another batch of seedlings by 1st germinating in paper towels, putting the seedlings into sterile "seed starting" mix, and they came up within a couple days on 3/11 & 3/12. But the leaves of these new plants are only about 3/8" wide and not growing tall.

I lowered the light to about 3" above the trays when i started the 2nd batch of plants on 3/9. They were about 5 or 6" above the trays for the first batch. It gets between 80 and 90 degrees under the lights during the day (15 hours on timer) and at night doesn't go below 65. I have to water every day.

Any idea what is going on and what to do about it?

Comments (4)