SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwolverine

A Passive Way to Kill Young Carpenter Ant Queens?

gardenwolverine
15 years ago

Last year I had only one container, a wooden half-barrel, that the young queens kept landing in, and I got so frustrated I poured vinegar down their holes which were along the edges for the most part, and of course it killed the plants that were along the edges. But it did kill the carpenter ants.

I decided to get DE this year, to hopefully passively kill them. Its working in the half-barrel because I'm not watering the sweet potato that much, and the queens are avoiding it for the most part or landing then taking off again after they walk around in the DE a bit. Its not working as well in my two new container beds that I made from the drawers of a discarded dresser because I have to keep them moist so the veggie seeds will germinate. I've had to go out every hour so far and smash them instead.

Of course I can't really keep this up and get every single one, and I figure the queens aren't really interested in food right now, so I was wondering if there was any OTHER way to kill them without smashy-smashy or letting them build a colony that I will then kill with bait.

Comments (2)