SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigejessica

Hello new here

PaigeJessica
12 years ago

Hi,

This year I'm determined to be better at gardening and growing my own vegetables. My Fiance and I started renting a house last summer and the house has a nice sized backyard for the city. We live in San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles County. I'm in zone 10a, used to be 8b. Last July we bought seedlings from Home Depot without much knowledge of how to care for them. We bought lettuce, spinach, strawberry, cucumber, egg plant, bell peppers, tomato, cherry tomato, sage, and cantaloupe. The lettuce was quickly eaten up by aphids. The spinach we managed to eat a few leaves from before it also perished.Those were grown in a container. In the actual ground the sage and cantaloupe quickly bit the dust, followed by the cucumber and egg plant. The tomatoes and peppers managed to start growing fruit but we weren't consistent with watering and we never fertilized. Last year we didn't get a single edible vegetable or fruit off anything we planted. Incredibly the strawberry and tomato are still alive and flowering...I'm going to have to kill the tomato to make room for this year's crops since it won't die on its own.

This year, for the last couple weeks I've been scouring the internet researching like crazy so we can have better gardening results. My Fiance is building me a couple 4'x6' raised beds that we plan to fill with lettuce, cucumbers, cantaloupe, okra, peas, bell peppers, egg plant, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green beans, and jalapenos. I started the lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, and egg plant indoors last Thursday before I realized that I should have started lettuce in January. If it sprouts I'll still plant it and when it bolts I'll just replace it with something else. I'm going to have the cucumber growing on a trellis above the lettuce so hopefully the lettuce will stay cool for a while longer. I'm hoping my seeds germinate this week or next. The last few times I tried starting plants from seeds they never germinated :( I'm hoping this time I get results.

Here are some diagrams of what I want to plant in the raised beds and the layout. I hope it's OK and everything can work together. I'm really excited for this year's possibilities :)

{{gwi:26922}}

{{gwi:26923}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting