SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hennietx

Mulching containers with Spanish moss?

18 years ago

Years ago I had a job with a plant rental company, maintaining interior plants and 'plantscapes'. We used Spanish moss (the gray moss that hangs out of trees in warm, humid climates; a tillandsia if I am not mistaken?) to sort of mulch the containerized plants, primarily so the soil would not be visible. It did not seem to break down much, just sort of get icky colored from watering and would eventually have to be replaced.

I was curious of anyone has ever used it as a mulch for containerized plants outdoors in very hot climates? I would like to find a cheap or free source of mulch for my potted roses, fruits, perennials, herbs, etc., to help reduce the amount of heat the soil absorbs. Where I am, it is already in the upper 90's and sun blazing every day. I would like to find ways to reduce the amount of heat the pots and soil absorb (probably going to paint the containers with some kind of light colored plastic paint like that Krylon stuff that bonds to plastic and vinyl). I have access to all the spanish moss I could ever want. All I will need is a rake to pull it down out of the trees with and trash bags to put it in. It seems that it would be cooler than bark mulch because of the color.

Comments (5)