SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodsfairy

maintaining my anti-garden's cloaking device

woodsfairy
16 years ago

I just moved into my place last winter and discovered that the streetside has a cloaking device. Very easy for people to walk or drive by without noticing it even when it is their destination! I love this quality - like having some of the privacy of living in the woods right in the middle of town. So I want to keep the cloaked quality when (non)viewed from the street or sidewalk, but plan to have more excitement in the backyard, where it is more private.

Not sure what exactly causes the cloaking, because the house is plainly visible when you purposely look straight at it -- it's not actually hidden behind big evergreens. Some of my thoughts about it are that there are some big deciduous trees in front (the south side). Their size might draw attention away from the house, and they give plenty of shade. The house is small and modest and white (looks like others) and there are lots of leaves everywhere from the maple and birch (brown color, not bright and green with grass). So I want to leave the leaves on the ground (not rake them -- let them act as the forest floor) and continue with a modest, unprepossessing appearance for someone driving by. For me and the walkers, on the other hand, a little bit of interest with a few woodland flowers would be nice. The other reason I call it my anti-garden is because I'm lazy and don't like to work hard on maintenance.

My first purchase is in transit as I write this: three eastern redbuds to plant in the 15-ft-wide strip between the sidewalk and street. I expect the them to give just a little more light screening and diversion.

On pondering further, I was wondering how it will work to leave the leaves and ask flowers (like maybe columbines and dicentra) to push up through? In the spring before leaves bud, bulb flowers wouldn't have trouble getting through a layer of leaves, would they? I prefer natives where possible even though there seem to be plenty of aliens here already. What are some natives that get along well with leaf cover?

p.s. I'm new to gardenweb and I really love the wealth of knowledge and experience gathered here. It's so wonderful to study up on so many things. These forums are a blessing!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH