SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david85_gw

Need help picking tree locations

david85
16 years ago

My mother recently took down a 24 foot diameter above ground pool, now I need to put in a garden.

I started last fall with some cheap plants on clearance, one of them was Cornus Kousa. I planted it at the 10 o'clock location. However the winter was a normal New England winter that we hadn't had in years and there were several ice storms, and sadly I needed to cut back the dogwood including the main stem (luckily it's still alive).

So now I'm wondering should I move the Dogwood to the "front" between the 6-8 o'clock location and plant an eastern redbud at the 10-12 o'clock position?

I want the smaller tree in the front, and the taller tree in the back. I have read several sites and books, and the eastern redbud is said to grow at different heights ranging from 12 feet to 35 feet (for old trees, though I have never seen that), most of them say 20-25 feet. Plus I don't know what me cutting back 8-12 inches off a 3-4 foot kousa dogwood (That I bought at Lowes) will do you the long term growth.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)