SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

Potato planting and height

So I picked up some seed taters for this year. I have Sangre Red and Purple Majesty (both of them being Colorado tubers I figured they'd be pretty well suited for my locale). My problem is, on the bag the planting instructions are darn vague, and the diagram they have is really confusing me.

I haven't grown potatoes in a pretty long while and it was before I habitually kept a journal so I'm going off of memory here, but I remember planting the seed about 3 inches deep and mounding up as it grew. The directions on the package are telling me (and it's identical for both) to plant the seed 8" deep and the total height of the plant is going to be 8" above ground (no mounding involved from what I can decipher) and the spuds will grow in 8" of dirt below the ground.

I have never heard of an 8" tall potato plant, the ones I remember would be towering over that. I have read that there are some potatoes out there that don't really need much hilling up whereas some varieties really benefit from the practice, but this really has me stumped. If anyone has any experience with these guys some enlightenment on the subject would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm