SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

How to make a decomposed granite path/patio area

dragonfly_wings
15 years ago

I'd like to create some paths and turn the small yard on one

side of my house into a patio using decomposed granite.

I'm wondering if there are any professionals here who know what the process involves beginning to end. I'd like to do it myself but don't know what I'd be getting into.

I might call someone from the Parks Dept. and ask them to connect me with their path construction folks and ask them.

If I had to guess at the steps involved I'm thinking I'd

first have to kill the grass (although it's not a lawn but rather a thinned, spotty area of weeds and native grass).

And maybe I should level the ground before beginning?

Then I'm not sure if I should lay down landscape cloth over the whole area or just apply Roundup or some other weed killer when/if weeds make their way through the granite chips. And if I use the cloth, what kind works best?

I have seen some professionally done paths in progress and it looked like they sunk some kind of plastic hardware cloth/grid into the ground first (instead of landscape cloth?), perhaps to hold the soil from shifting or running off when it rained. It actually looked like very short pieces of pvc pipe buried one next to the other and filled with sand.

Finally I'd probably need a heavy roller to go over it after applying each additional layer of decomposed granite until it was 4 inches thick or so.

Am I way off the mark on this? What am I not considering?

Also, does anyone know what kind of prices I should expect for the materials OR to have a professional do it?

Thanks.

Comments (5)