SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gblack_gw

Tarp based weed control

gblack
13 years ago

So I've read a thread a while back about one of our gardeners here who tried a tarp for weed control for a few years and apparently had pretty good results. I'm thinking hard about giving it a go myself and was wondering if anyone else had tried it?

I do understand I need to use a good strong tarp if I expect it to last the season. I'm planning on a black one as that seems to be the best approach (and hoping it warms the soil as well as black plastic does at the beginning of the year).

I am aware that tarping can do "bad" things to my soil (no water, no breathing, etc.) which I absoultely want - I'm not growing in those spots and if the soil is good, then I'm raising weeds right? I plan to cut decent size holes in the tarp for the plants (mostly melons) and then fill the holes in with newspaper (See - I take care of the spots I care about!). I also understand that standing water can be an issue but a lot of my season is very dry, I'll be utilizing drip irrigation, and I'm hoping for the few times it does rain, if it's an issue, I can just poke a small hole in the tarp and let it drain.

Wind is a concern. I plan to bury the edges of the tarps (40x60 and 40x30), and I'm considering trying to stake them next to where I cut the holes for the plants for good measure.

Does anyone else have experience trying something like this and/or have pictures you'd be willing to share?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH