SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gblack_gw

YOUR perfect soil for vegetable gardening.

gblack
13 years ago

This is not an attempt to start a holy war....

I also realize that many different fruits and vegetables have somewhat differing requirements, not the least of which is pH.

I'm in a situation where I intend to bring in some new "growing material" this year and am trying to determine exactly what I want to get.

For the purposes of this thread, consider "soil" to mean "growing media" whatever that may be.

My main crops for this soil will be tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, watermelon, muskmelon, and various types of squash (pumpkins, zucchini, etc).

I don't intend to custom tailor it for each crop.

I prefer it if your responses are based on person experience, though book knowledge is "ok". I suspect this part of gardening is perhaps more art than it is science. As such, I place more value on your person experiences (which is why I'm asking).

What have you tried growing things in?

What worked well for you and what didn't?

What would you try again or avoid?

Where did you get your materials?

How did you process the various items you used (like in the case of manure - did you compost it yourself? If so, how? What's your own personal gauge for when it's composted "enough"?)

Any issues planting from seed in your particular mix?

What characteristics do you associate with your mix (drainage, color, smell, consistency, etc.)?

I want to know all the dirt about your dirt past and present!

All answers are considered good, valid, and correct (and appreciated) as long as they're based on your personal experience.

It's okay for people to have conflicting personal experiences - it just means we're all missing a piece of data somewhere and it's good to be aware of that.

Thanks!!!

Comments (5)